Monday, September 28, 2009

Wish Granted

Have you ever made a wish that you really wanted to come true?

When I was a child, I believed that if I blew really hard on a dandelion and made all the fluff leave its head, then my wish would come true:

I shot this picture two days ago while on a family outing in the mountains. While I chose not to blow on the dandelion head and scatter its seeds, I did have an important wish come true today.

Today was a day I had been looking forward to with some trepidation.

Today was Little Guy's qualification assessment for the district preschool.

Little Guy is very complicated. Because he is so intelligent and can speak extremely well, it sometimes masks his deficiencies - especially if he is having a "good" day; that is, if he is mostly regulated and happy.

My wish was that Little Guy's worrisome behaviors would manifest themselves during testing so that he can get the support he needs as he prepares for school.

My wish was granted. Today was NOT a "good" day for Little Guy.

During the assessment, there were issues with frustration, transitions, fixations, compulsions, and meltdowns - just to name a few. In fact, Little Guy became so disregulated and uncooperative near the end that the psychologist had to discontinue the test. It was very exhausting and somewhat embarrassing trying to handle his behavior, but I believe it gave the psychologist a good picture of what we experience with Little Guy on a daily basis.

In fact, at one point she said,"I think these classes and our program will be really beneficial for your son in helping him prepare for the public school setting." I don't think the psychologist would have made this statement unless she felt that Little Guy is a good candidate for their program.

It can take up to two weeks to hear back from the school; I'm hoping it will be sooner so we can have additional time to help Little Guy transition to this new environment.

I'll keep you updated.

No comments: