Saturday, September 12, 2009

Splendid Saturday


This picture has little to do with the post; I just added it because it captures a moment of fun had by the Little, Middle, and Big Guys on a recent hike.

Once again, I totally blew off Wednesday (okay, not totally as that was my "catch up" post) and cruised past Thursday and Friday. So, it's time for a "splendid" Saturday.

Why is it splendid? Because I get to share the progress my Aspie boys have made during the week!

Little Guy's news is very exciting. After a disappointing try at potty training, I had decided to stop pushing it for a while....and twice in the last three days, Little Guy has recognized on his own the need to go and has actually asked to sit on the toilet. Hallelujah! There is hope, after all :) I'm hoping it happens before his third birthday, which is about two months away. We'll just have to wait and see if this is also Little Guy's agenda!

Big Guy has begun volunteering at the college's DRC - Disability Resource Center. In return, he gets to use a laptop to take to his classes. Normally, the kids with disabilities don't have to "work" for their hardware, but Big Guy is a special case. You see, he refuses to register with the DRC - the reason being is that he's convinced he doesn't have Asperger's Syndrome. It's a long story how this perception came about; it's a mixture of having such a late diagnosis mixed with a well-meaning psychiatrist who told Big Guy that he was "outgrowing" Asperger's. Um, one doesn't "outgrow" Asperger's. I think she was trying to preserve Big Guy's self-esteem, but I wish this doctor had found a different way of approaching it. Anyway, the director of the DRC works with my husband at the college, and is aware of Big Guy's diagnosis and the difficulty he faces in taking handwritten notes during class due to his poor handwriting skills. She came up with this plan, and I have to admit that I LIKE it. I love the fact that Big Guy is able to use his strengths to help others in need (like reading to blind students) while having his own needs addressed in return - especially since he doesn't recognize them.

It's definitely a win-win situation.

No comments: