Monday, November 9, 2009

Not Yet


As I mentioned last week, Big Guy has determined that he'd really like to spread his wings and move out of the house.

This desire worries me on many levels. Don't get me wrong - our goal is to have Big Guy out on his own and self sufficient at some point. We'd also like this to happen sooner rather than later. So I had a problem: how do I show my son that he's not ready for this step without damaging his already fragile self esteem?

After talking it over with my husband, we decided that a breakdown of finances for Big Guy might be the best route to take. Money is tangible, and something that Big Guy understands well. We sat down with him last night and showed him on paper what it would take for him to be financially self-efficient enough to move into campus housing. Everyone agreed that it's not possible at this point, but we decided it is a distinct possibility for next fall.

This will also give us time to work on the other areas Big Guy will need to improve on, such as practical everyday activities and social skills.

Because when it's time for my young bird to fly the nest, I don't want him to fall.

I want him to SOAR.

No comments: