Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Why Wednesdays are Wonderful

Wednesdays are wonderful down our way.

This is the day I've chosen to specifically concentrate on the positive events which have taken place during the week.

It's amazing how the hard times don't seem quite as bad when you focus on the good things that are going on in your life.

Anyway, here's what's been happening on the home front with the Big and Little Guys:

Big Guy went on a group date last Saturday! If you've read my previous posts, dating is something that Big Guy does very little of and is often intimidated by. He actually took the daughter of one of my good friends, who apparently is quite shy. Big Guy typically doesn't say much either, so I guess it's a good thing that there were other kids there to help carry the conversation :) My friend's oldest son was with the group and he's also an Aspie. Many people with Asperger's Syndrome have interests they literally become obsessed with, and apparently this boy's obsession is the Constitution; Big Guy said that's all he would talk about during the entire evening. But overall, I got the impression that Big Guy had a good time.

Little Guy is certainly giving us a run for our money....but I won't elaborate now as the purpose of my Wednesday postings is to focus on positive events. Actually, Little Guy has been doing something rather exciting and enjoyable this week - he's started to become more physically demonstrative with his affection. This is something many ASD kids struggle with, and Little Guy certainly has never been a "cuddly" or "snuggly" baby. He'll allow us to hold him briefly ON HIS TERMS, but that's about it. However, I've noticed that Little Guy has been spontaneously throwing his arms around my legs and giving them a quick hug, and he has actually climbed onto my lap ON HIS OWN a couple of times this week while we've watched TV together.

These rare demonstrations of affection are certainly enough to "get us through" another week :)

No comments: