Friday, May 1, 2009

Sensitive

No, this title doesn't describe how I feel about having two children with Asperger's.

It describes the easiest word I know that others can relate to when they first meet my autistic toddler, "Little Guy".

For example:

A couple of days ago, I decided to venture to the gym....with my toddler in tow. Many of you might be wondering what the big deal is with this scenario, but those who have experience with autistic children know that any type of change can be extremely disruptive for them. To avoid a potentially challenging situation, I normally leave Little Guy with a trusted neighbor or at home with an older sibling when I workout. Unfortunately, neither choice was available to me that day.

I'd tried taking him to the gym's daycare once before with disastrous results, but I felt desperate....or was it reckless? Anyway, as I looked into the childcare room and saw that there were relatively few children, I decided to chance it.

After I signed Little Guy in, I found a worker I could speak with. I introduced myself and pointed out my son.

The employee must have sensed I had something else to say, because her question was, "Do you have any concerns I need to know about?"

Hmmmm. Just a few. Should I begin first with his auditory sensitivity and how loud sounds can cause him to withdraw or have a complete meltdown? In case they served snacks, should I address his food aversions and consequent limited diet? That he has very fleeting eye contact? That large groups of kids intimidate him? Or that the slightest, unexpected touch from someone can be perceived as a potential threat?

I opted for a simplified version.

"Sometimes, when things grow too loud or there are a lot of kids around, he gets scared."

The worker's eyes lit up with understanding. "Oh, he's SENSITIVE. No problem, I'll keep an eye out for him." I had a very speedy workout, and Little Guy made it through a half hour of daycare.

Can one simple word sum up all of my child's needs?

Of course, the answer is no. However, I've decided that "sensitive" will suffice to help people better understand Little Guy's behavior when there just isn't time to explain all that his diagnosis entails, or if it isn't the appropriate place to disclose too much information.

Would I use this word to describe my other Aspie, "Big Guy"?

No. I would definitely use the word QUIRKY.

But that's an entirely different post :)

No comments: